StartUp

One of the greatest tools SUp.biz provides is a chance for us to share our businesses, knowledge, and ideas. How we use these methods determines what type of positive or negative impression we leave with one another, especially our new members.

Today, I received a message from one of the new members. It was clear from his message that from the welcome comments he received, he perceived most of them to be shallow and opportunistic. It was evident that his first impression was one of apprehension. Flooded with template in-your-face promotions, evidencing no personal hello's or welcomes how could his first impression be any less skeptical?

This was his message to me:

"Thanks for the comment Norine! Basically I'm just looking around on the site in my free time to check it out, but I plan on getting more and more involved as time goes on. My first question is this: about how many people can you/have you connected with on startup biz that have truly been helpful in developing your business? I see I've had about 10 initial comments, but I'd say at least 8 of them are just copied-and-pasted get-rich-quick schemes...there are some legit business people looking to network on here though right?"

Time on this site has brought an abundant of knowledge and even revelations. I have developed wonderful offline relationships because most members here are not only business men and women, but people first. Thus, we treat one another as people while collaborating our businesses. THAT'S building your business. THAT'S success. THAT'S prosperity.

In my profile, you will find this comment: "I want to get to know "YOU" not just your business. Let me get to know you, and chances are I'll get to know your business." I don't care to get to know another member's business any other way.

SUp.biz's COO, Brandon, posted a useful discussion on the forum called, "5 Keys to Building a Huge Network on Sta.rtUp.biz." In it he leaves great tips on leaving welcome comments and introductions. Because I followed those tips I made a positive first impression on a new member.

I can't speak for everyone. But, I patronize certain stores for how they treat 'me', not because of the low cost of their products.

Let's look at it another way, the new members who join SUp.biz could be OUR opportunity. Let's get to know them. Let's get to know each other.

Tags: comments, first, impression, people, welcome

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally agree with you Norine. Any relationship, personal or business, begins with getting to know the person. I've been social networking for about six months and the most rewarding connections are with the people who get to know me first and not seeking to see what I can do for them. I am planning to do face-to-face networking in the near future and I am going into it with the only motive of getting to know people, where they're from, what they do.

I think if you geniunely show interest in the person, not just looking for a deal or to make a sale, it will be more beneficial for you and your business in the long run.

I would like for people to get to know me first and then my business and I believe that success will follow.
When you enter a bookstore, do you search a book for its title or author?

My thoughts exactly. I'm an Internet Promotional Marketer. The first recommendation I make to writers is to create an author profile. This should be done BEFORE the book is published. Usually your audience needs to know who you are before they purchase your books.

Jo-Anne Vandermeulen
Internet Promotional Manager Professional Support Network for Writers
http://www.premiumpromotions.blogspot.com http://www.gr5mom2.wordpress.com
“You Write – We Promote” “Conquer All Obstacles”
Kenya H. wrote:
I think if you geniunely show interest in the person, not just looking for a deal or to make a sale, it will be more beneficial for you and your business in the long run.

CLS wrote
...and the sky's the limit!
It was a pleasure to meet you. I would like express my gratitude for giving me this opportunity to share.

What about me except that I am madly in love with life .................. I love my life, I am a rebel who loves freedom. The acceptance of difference leads me to live in harmony with my environment, am love, tolerate, to respect, give, share, and assume. Choose to do with discipline and love breeds success. For all that precede you can easily understand my crazy love and gratitude to your life.
I am a person, a woman, a wife, a mother, a creator. I feel blessed and filled.

After successful career in the Air Transport, I chose to become fashion designer.
Clara Design is created in 1989 to promote a new concept which is Modernist creations from the Past.
Although, our own home is designed, created in Modern styles from traditional artisan materials, I enjoy the challenge and diversity of fabrics in different styles, do my best to research and incorporate the functionality needed to introduce a positive side of Africa through my brand.
* Many Collections, Orders for industrial clothing from Privates companies, Government, and International organizations.
* Invitations to VIP Events, Exhibitions Several Awards holds.
* Diamond Award from the African Fashion in November 2000 in Sun City, South Africa
* Biz Africa Awards by World Confederation of Business in March 2008 in Dakar, Senegal.
As well as a testament of success on the international level.

Thank you Norine. It was a pleasure to meet you
Our goal is to create the best quality, make, promote, improve, personalize,
We are believed that everyone has its personal style.
Communication is paramount in International Global Business Development, we do our best to make everybody feel fashion a way to communicate.
Clara Design and its Association ASDAVTA Support textile crafts, woven cotton fabric, produce, manufacture, aims to secure a leading position in the Market.
Resident of the USA for the last ten year, after 20 years of successful working experience, I have decided to expand my business within the coming 4 months, I have planned to organize a Fashion Show to start a new brand line in the USA.
Norine I totally agree with you. I want to get to know a person first. If I dont know the person then why do I want to know their business. It makes logical sense to me. Thank you for posting this. I will remember this for my business. I think that would make your business more successful in the long wrong.
Thank you again,
Toby Coats

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Sup Biz Coo.

Get Featured  |  Issue  |  Terms of Service